5 Oct 2010

The Grand Scheme


The 48 hour film turned out to be a right laugh. It was really cool working the way we did, with no crew roles, everyone just chipping in.

It's been a long time since I was involved in something like this and it reminds me of back in the day when myself and friend L. would turn the camera on ourselves and act out short scenes. These were usually variations on the same formula; the two of us smoking a lot of cigarettes and ad-libbing with New York accents whilst pretending to be mob bosses, inevitably ending with one of us shooting the other with a plastic gun, muttering ‘Fat Joe said go fuck yourself’, or something to that effect, before vehemently flicking the cigarette on the floor, spitting, then walking off screen to leave the other pretending to choke in a pool of blood. Those scenes were the very foundation of my filmmaking experience.

Regarding whether working without roles can be successful is completely down to the crew and project. A lot of the time I imagine it will completely fail, but with like-minded people I can see this method being really 'organic' (forgive me for using that word in this context), without the formalities of roles and hierarchy.

I think it's a good idea to not always be so serious about doing things the conventional/'right' way all of the time and to experiment more.

Anyways, here's the finished piece...


And some photos I took along the way...


Little Dorrit...


A nice building in Dalston...


The naughty corner...


At last, Borough has its own old skool Garage night, can't wait...


An opportunistic Crow...